Lost Docs Blog Report on Department and Agency Receipt Postings
In addition to the Lost Docs monthly report we at the Lost Docs Blog will also frequently issue different reports and updates. The report that follows focuses on the departments and agencies which are represented by the GPO receipts collected thus far. For future reports we hope to provide more in depth analysis including that of cataloging times.
Of the 696 fugitive document receipts ( “false positives” excluded, those with records in the CGP at the time they were reported) the top five departments and agencies, ranked according to the number of receipts received, are as follows, with the department listed and then any agencies within that department for which we received a sizable number of receipts.
Please remember that the reporting here is based only on those GPO receipts forwarded to the Lost Docs Project Blog. Our numbers are not based on the total number of fugitive documents reported to GPO.
- Department of Health and Human Services.....194 (28% of total receipts)
National Institutes of Health 151 (78% of total HHS receipts,including NCI)
National Cancer Institute (NCI) 112
Other agencies and offices within the department 43
- Department of Justice.........125 (18% of total receipts)
Bureau of Justice Statistics 13
Office of Justice Programs 10
Other agencies and offices within the department 93
- Department of Interior.....80 (11% of total receipts)
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Regulation and Enforcement (formerly MMS) 29
(36% of total Dept. of Interior receipts)
National Parks Service 23
Bureau of Land Management 22
- USDA.......43 (6% of total receipts)
US Forest Service 7
Other agencies 36
- Department of Commerce.....37 (5% of total receipts)
NOAA 34 (92% of total Dept. of Commerce receipts)
Census Bureau 3
If you like the concept of a public listing of fugitive documents reported to GPO, there are a number of easy ways to help us:
- If you report a fugitive document to GPO, send your e-mailed receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome any item reported to GPO in the past month. It is best if you can send us the receipt the same day you get it from GPO. Some e-mail programs will support auto-forwarding. If so, please consider autoforwarding items where the subject contains "lostdocs submission."
- Visit the blog at lostdocs.freegovinfo.info and comment on the listed items. Comments can include -- Did your library receive the item? Did you find it in the CGP? Do you think the item is out of scope for the CGP? Did you report the item as well and so on.
- Post the blog link to your website or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media.
- Subscribe to the blog feed at lostdocs.freegovinfo.info/feed/
or better yet incorporate the feed into your website or blog.