The “workaround” is to clear your browser’s cache, cookies, and history. The Census Bureau also suggests viewing the site in either Internet Explorer 9 or 8. The Bureau and its contractor should be really, really embarrassed about this and fix it quickly.
- Workaround Solution for Redesigned American Factfinder Browser Issues. FDLP Desktop (31 January 2013).
The U.S. Census Bureau has brought to our attention that the newly redesigned American FactFinder does not render properly in some Web browsers. Users have reported issues with various versions of Mozilla Firefox (FF) and Internet Explorer (IE).
The Census Bureau is investigating the matter. In the meantime, their recommendation is to clear the browser’s cache, cookies, and history as a temporary solution. In addition, they recommend viewing the site in either IE 9 or 8. If issues are encountered, the following instructions are specific to IE 8 and up.
- Click on the “Tools” icon.
- Select “Internet Options”.
- Under the “General” tab, click on the “Delete” button under “Browsing history”.
- Select the following:
- Temporary Internet files
- “Preserve Favorites website data”
- Click on the “Delete” button.
To clear the browser cache, cookies, and history for other browsers, visit the American FactFinder FAQ or check the browser’s Web site for browser-specific instructions.
Be advised that clearing your browser’s cache, cookies, and history may impact saved sessions for other Web services.